Be sure to check the bottom of this page for a list of the blogs that I follow. I hope you'll enjoy them too!

Friday, February 10, 2012

The Easy as Pie Baby Skirt

I was inspired to make this skirt when I spotted a post at deliacreates.blogspot.com.  The original skirt was made from an old T-shirt, but since I didn't have an old T-shirt and do have LOT'S of material from the scrap bin, I decided to re-create the skirt with what I have.  It was so quick and fun to make that I hope you will try it to. The measurements for this skirt should fit newborn to at least three months old.
Choose a nice jersey knit for the band.  Measure a 13"x 4" rectangle. Letting the material double over and cutting it on the fold allows you to simply sew the piece together creating a back seam for the waist band.

Next, cut out the skirt piece.  I made mine 7 1/2" long and about 24" wide  because I wanted to give the skirt a very full gather.

Using a long stitch sew across the entire top of the skirt piece.  Be sure to leave long thread ends so that it will be easy for you to gather the skirt.  Simply gather the skirt to fit the waist band.  Pin RIGHT sides together.

Now sew the band to the skirt. Next hem the bottom of the skirt. 

You are done!  Throw this skirt over a Onsie and you are ready to take baby to the ballet!
You can leave the band thick, or fold it in and sew it down to make it thinner if you prefer.  If you are using a material for the skirt that has very little stretch you can cut open  where the band meets the skirt and add a hook and eye.

For the busy baby :)

Hope you enjoy my version of this adorable and versatile Easy as Pie Skirt!



No comments:

Post a Comment